MY Choice Convento das Bernardas - Tavira
2-bedroom apartment for holiday rental in Tavira Algarve
The apartment is located in the center of Tavira, inserted in the historic and emblematic Condomínio Convento das Bernardas. It consists of two bedrooms, two bathrooms, living room with open space kitchen, free outdoor parking and Wi-Fi access. Tavira Island Beach is 2.3 km from the property and the nearest airport is about a 30 minute drive.
110057 / AL
Overlooking the salt flats of Tavira, this modern and comfortable apartment consists of two bedrooms, a pantry, a dressing room, open space with kitchen and living room, a bathroom with shower and another with a bathtub, air conditioning and a living and dining area.
The apartment has a terrace for sunbathing or meals with open views, where you can end your afternoons after enjoying the condominium pool. If preferable, guests can relax in the garden, go for walks along the bank of the River Gilão or discover the old town of Tavira full of history.
Also designated as ‘Convento de São Bernardo’, ‘Convent of Nossa Senhora da Piedade de Tavira’, ‘Convento das Bernardas’, ‘Church of Convento de São Bernardo’, ‘Church and Convent of Nossa Senhora da Piedade de Tavira’.
The Monastery of Bernardas was founded, in 1509, by King D. Manuel I in thanksgiving for the lifting of the siege of Arzila, in which the assistance provided by the Tavirans had been fundamental.
It is an architectural model worthy of attention at various levels, namely, for the history that involves its construction and existence, for the 16th century architecture that characterizes it, for the Manueline portal (one of the oldest examples of Manueline art in the Algarve) and for it was also the largest female religious house in the region and the only one in the Cistercian Order.
Subsequently, the building was donated to D. Fernando Coutinho who, in 1530, completed it and handed it over to the Cistercian Nuns, so it is configured as a female monastery from the late Cistercian constructions in Portugal.
For the next three centuries, it remained the only convent of that order in the region, with its religious and conversations coming not only from the families of Tavira but also from the whole Algarve. The building has undergone several extensions and alterations throughout its existence. Like many other buildings in the Algarve region, it was heavily damaged by the 1755 earthquake.
After 1834, and following the liberal legislation that extinguishes religious orders, in Portugal, the building (Church, Convent and Cerca) is incorporated into the royal farm, and sold at public auction.
In 1890, the Steam Grinding and Pasta Factory was set up there, which in 1920 was sold to J. A. Pacheco. The factory will remain in operation until the end of the 60s. At the same time, some spaces are adapted to support offices for the operation of the industry and private homes.
This property has a privileged location in the urban end of Tavira. It is located in the vicinity of the new bridge over the Gilão River, and presents the backyard bordered by a canal and facing the marshland, the mouth of the river and the estuary, without visual obstacles.
The Bernardas Convent was transformed into a residential condominium by the award-winning architect Eduardo Souto de Moura. The Pritzker Prize in 2011, Souto de Moura opened the windows of a rectangular building, opened inside to a large patio, integrating it into the urban nature, where it is located, but which it lacked. It gave him the rare light in a cell and the human experience that a factory unit (industrial mills) almost always despises. It also gave you the views over an entire historic city and a refreshing river. He put special care in preserving the religious legacy, used industrial memorabilia and privileged the observation of the ancient practice of salt production.
The cleaning tax is 83€ per stay.
Check-in takes place at the property between 16h and 19h.
Please follow the instructions sent in your booking confirmation.
Late check-in is available when contacted in advance.